Saturday 19 July 2014

Post Op: Day 44

It's now six weeks post op! Time has flown by. Things are now pretty much back to normal as I have gone back to work which is nice because by the time October comes and I am back at university, I'll be feeling perfect (fingers crossed).

This week I went to see the surgeon and the orthodontist and here's how they said progress was:

Orthadontist: Bite is improving quickly! Just need to carry on with the elastics for a few more weeks because my overjet has nearly gone and it will bring my right teeth together more (they still don't touch much). Once they are together, I will have a perfect bite apparently.

Surgeon: Teeth are slowly settling. Looking good and I don't have to see him for three months!

I can't believe how much my overjet has decreased. Below you can see my progress pictures. The first photo was taken just before surgery, the second about two weeks post-op and the last one six weeks.


Sorry, the photos aren't the most flattering, but you can just see how much has been done.


Swelling has nearly gone now, pain isn't really there at all and numbness is now only on the right side of my chin and bottom lip and roof of my mouth. Can't open my mouth much still, but that will come with time.

Also, another note, I'm starting to chew a bit more, but only on the left side of  mouth where my teeth are meeting properly. Still taking it slowly though and won't be eating anything chewy or too meaty yet.


Not much else to update on at the moment, but I will post again soon with more progress. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me!

Thanks for reading.

6 comments:

  1. Hello, you look great! I can definitely see a huge difference. :) Your face looks a lot more relaxed now compared to pre-surgery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Wendy. Glad to hear that you think there is a difference too!

      Delete
  2. Abi! You are looking wonderful. It's really reassuring for me to read that you're also having more contact on one side of your mouth than the other. I noticed my molars on my left side don't really meet now, but same as you, my orthodontist seems to think this is easy enough to sort out with the braces and elastics. The left side of my face is still more numb, as well as the left side of my chin and my top lip. I had a segmental osteotomy so the area above my top lip really got hacked into! Excited to hear you are chewing; I just started too, but only on the right side of my mouth. What kinds of things have you been eating?!

    Jen xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I feel that the other side are touching very slightly! Only on occasions though. It is slowly getting there. I'm not too worried about that though.

      I had the same as you, so it's probably why we're a bit numb on our chin and lips. :O I am hoping it comes back. It's just very tingly when I touch, but I can't feel temperature. :S

      I have been eating pasta, noodles, soft cakes, muffins, small bits of pizza. Anything that's not too chewy! :) I am really speeding up with the eating now.

      Glad to hear from you. xxx

      Delete
  3. Wow, great to read people one week or so ahead of me eating already! I've braced myself to be eating from a syringe for at least one more month! :D Looking forward to a week or two more when I'll try to start eating proper again. Can't imagine chewing just yet though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised that I could actually chew! I just gave it a little try last week and it went well, so I am trying a bit more now. Still can't have anything too chewy, but I can chew soft pasta, noodles and muffins etc.

      Just take it slowly at first and try and get used to it. :) You have to build up those muscles once more!

      Delete