Monday 2 June 2014

All Prepared

This is the first post of my new blog about my jaw surgery journey. I am having to have it on both of my jaws as well as having wisdom teeth taken out at the same time! I was inspired by Becky who has had the same surgery to start this blog.

Here's the story so far:
  • I originally had braces in 2006 when I was 11 years old to straighten out my teeth. I wore them until Easter 2009.
  • Afterwards, I think my overbite gradually got worse as I grew up so my dentist referred me to the hospital when I was 18. 
  • In Easter 2013, I had the braces fitted again to get my teeth in order for the surgery.
It took about  6/7 months to prepare my teeth for surgery, however I had to wait around a bit because I wanted to have surgery in the summer so I had enough time to recover and so it didn't interfere with university.

Last Friday I had my pre-operative assessment and I was asked all about my health and told how I will feel after surgery. They weighed me, measured me and even took my blood (worst part for me)! 

Now I'm all ready for surgery. I go in on Thursday - I'm quite nervous, but it'll all be worth it. I think it's the anticipation that makes things scarier. 


 

Here are a few pictures of me, before braces and with braces. I always smile with my teeth because I find it difficult to close my mouth and it causes my chin to dimple which looks quite funny. I have been told by the surgeon that I have a bit of a gummy smile (however, my teeth are quite big so I don't think it looks too bad).


Here's me now! When I relax my face my lips are usually open. I don't think the profile of my face looks quite right. Hopefully the surgery will improve this and I'll be able to close my lips properly at last!

I will keep you updated! Please let me know if you've had similar surgery or if you're going through something similar.

Thanks for reading. Follow my blog with Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. Hey Abi!

    Good luck for Thursday, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

    See you when you're all swollen ;)

    - Sophie Leigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophie Leigh! :) I will keep you updated.

      Delete
  2. You're going to do amazing. I was totally scared of the needles and everything too, but the nurses were used to that stuff and were really good about it. I had to lay down when they did the IV. They told me the more relaxed I was the easier it would be and it really helped. Before you know it you're going to be post op!!! Sending lots of positive vibes and prayers for a quick recovery :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Really appreciate the support. I will try and keep positive. I can't wait to see the results.

      Delete