Tuesday 24 June 2014

Post Op: Day 19 and Numbness

So, we are now nineteen days past the surgery date. Time really is flying by. This Thursday, it will have been three weeks! Recovery is going really well. When I visited the surgeon last week he told me that I don't need to see him for a month now because I am on the right track. However, I still have to see my orthodontist every week to check these elastic bands in my mouth.


I am looking more normal every day! The changes from day to day are minimal now too. Swelling has nearly gone I think and I am not even at the three weeks mark! The only issue I have is that there is a bit of numbness which I have tried to illustrate on the photo below:


The areas which I have highlighted are partially numb (the chin is the worst). I do have a little bit of feeling in those areas, but not as much as I did before, but the orthodontist said that he thinks the feeling will come back soon.

In all these photos I look a bit sad, but I am not! I am finally getting used to smiling again. Here is a little smile I captured earlier this week on instagram:


Thanks for reading! Please feel free to ask any questions or let me know about your own experiences.

4 comments:

  1. Looking great! It must feel good to smile (even though it's a little bit!) Just wondering - how's the liquid diet going? Are there any recipes that you'd recommend? I'm now starting to prepare everything I'll need as my surgery is less than a month away - eek! By the way loving the design for your blog, did you create it yourself? B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth! Yeah, the smiling is getting better. Before it hurt, but now not so much.

      The good thing about the liquid diet is that it's got to be high in calories so you get enough energy so you can drink plenty of milkshakes and fruit smoothies which you can make easily if you have a blender (we just used a handheld one). I also really recommend ice cream. It's soothing because it is cold and it's easy to eat. Try to avoid anything with bits in though because it gets stuck in the back of your mouth and it's hard to get it out!

      For savoury meals, I have just been having a lot of soup. My favourites are tomato or butternut squash. Again, try and avoid anything with big bits in. Also try having mashed potato. You can try jazzing it up with cheese or even a bit of gravy! Sloppy food does not look appetising, but you just have to look past that.

      I am three weeks on now and I am finally eating soft pasta, but I still have to chop it up small because chewing is a no-go. I make it quite saucy because it's a bit easier to swallow.

      Aw, thanks very much! I used the standard blogspot template and then just customised it. I'm a design student though so I am into that. :)

      ♥ Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Hi Abi! I agree with Beth, your blog looks so professional! I am such a technophobe :-) That's a great idea to illustrate where the numbness is. My roof of my mouth and upper and left gums are completely numb too. It's so cool that's you're only just a little ahead of me with your recovery! I can eat cous cous and rice now, if they have a saucy accompaniment :-) know what you mean about chopping up the pasta. It looks worse but it's just easier if you give in and mash everything up!

    Keep up the great recovery and keep me updated!

    I just posted my days 4-14 pics :-)

    http://jawgod.blogspot.co.uk/

    Jen xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I am trying to eat more normally now. I find I can eat most things that I can just chop up small enough for me to fit into my mouth. :)

      No problem. I look forwards to your updates too. x

      Delete